- 1 What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
- 2 Is tour guide a good career?
- 3 Can you make a living being a tour guide?
- 4 Is it hard to become a tour guide?
- 5 How long does a tour guide course take?
- 6 How do I become a successful tour guide?
- 7 What are the disadvantages of being a tour guide?
- 8 What should a tour guide say?
- 9 What do tour guides wear?
- 10 Where do tour guides make the most money?
- 11 How do I get paid to travel?
- 12 How do tour operators make money?
What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
In order to be registered as a tourist guide in South Africa, a person must meet the following minimum requirements:
- must be at least 21 years of age;
- must be a South African citizen or be in possession of a valid work permit;
- must have undergone training with a CATHSSETA-accredited training provider;
Is tour guide a good career?
A tour guide gets the opportunity to see the world. It is a job with no time limit. You have to work for a long 12 hours in a day and may be that on the next day you will be free. It is a good career industry but very competitive.
Can you make a living being a tour guide?
According to Job Monkey, guides in high-tourist areas could earn around $50-$150 per day. Most entry-level tour guides only earn about $8-$15 per hour. But, there are experienced tour guides that earn upwards of $60,000 per year. These people often work for tour companies as managers.
Is it hard to become a tour guide?
It’s a competitive field, and you’ll have to work hard to keep your coveted role. You need to be dedicated, but you also need to know how to have fun. You’ll live out of a suitcase, answer hundreds of questions every day, and work with many different personalities and cultures from all over the world.
How long does a tour guide course take?
The full time courses are 2 weeks (10 days) long made up of theoretical and practical training. Thereafter there is a period of 6 weeks in which to complete the set Unit Standards Assessments and a written examination at the end.
How do I become a successful tour guide?
10 Tips for Being a Good Tour Guide
- Face the crowd, not what you’re talking about.
- Be personal.
- Tell a story (historical or contemporary).
- Get moving right away.
- Don’t worry about being perfect.
- Get help to get organized.
What are the disadvantages of being a tour guide?
Disadvantages of Being a Tour Guide
- Tour guides often have to work on weekends.
- Your schedule can change without prior notice.
- You don’t make much money as a tour guide.
- Many tour guides need a second job to survive.
- Short-term contracts are pretty common.
- Seasonality plays a big role in the life of tour guides.
What should a tour guide say?
Here you find some examples of welcoming.
- Welcome. I’m Helina, your guide for this tour. I’ll tell you all about the things you will see.
- Hello everyone. My name is Tiiu.
- Dear guests, Let me introduce myself.
- Hi, everybody. I’m your tour guide Natalja.
- Hi, everybody.
What do tour guides wear?
As most tour guides meet clients on vacation and trips, casual dressing is recommended. It is awkward if you wear formal suits while the travelers are on T-shirts. On the other hand, because the guide is at work, it is not professional to wear too loosely like slippers.
Where do tour guides make the most money?
Hawaii, California and Alaska are the top states in the U.S. to pay tour guides the highest salaries.
How do I get paid to travel?
Get Paid To Travel With These 12 Jobs
- Public Speaking.
- Travel Blogging (or fashion, food, mommy, tech, etc.)
- Brand Ambassador.
- Teaching English Jobs.
- Social Media Influencer.
- Work On a Cruise Ship.
- Yacht / Sailboat Delivery Work.
- Run Your Own Travel Tours or Become a Guide.
How do tour operators make money?
How Tour Companies Make Money
- Don’t Compete on Price.
- Generate New Leads Through Content.
- Attract Customers By Using Social Media.
- Form Strategic Partnerships.
- Invest in Employee Training and Engagement.
- Segment Your Marketing Based On The Time of Year.
- Plan Ahead for Slow Periods.
- Focus on Existing Customers.