- 1 What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
- 2 Is it hard to become a tour guide?
- 3 How do I become an international tour guide?
- 4 Is a tour guide a good job?
- 5 How long does a tour guide course take?
- 6 What should a tour guide say?
- 7 How do I start a tour guide company?
- 8 What are the disadvantages of being a tour guide?
- 9 Why do I want to be a tour guide?
What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
In order to be registered as a tourist guide in South Africa, a person must meet the following minimum requirements:
- must be at least 21 years of age;
- must be a South African citizen or be in possession of a valid work permit;
- must have undergone training with a CATHSSETA-accredited training provider;
Is it hard to become a tour guide?
It’s a competitive field, and you’ll have to work hard to keep your coveted role. You need to be dedicated, but you also need to know how to have fun. You’ll live out of a suitcase, answer hundreds of questions every day, and work with many different personalities and cultures from all over the world.
How do I become an international tour guide?
To become a tour guide you should have some of the basic requirements like:
- Good customer service skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Time management skills.
- Research skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Safety training.
Is a tour guide a good job?
Becoming a tour guide is one of the most rewarding and exhilarating ways to see the world, learn about a country’s culture and history while sharing your love of travel with people just like you. Here’s 8 reasons why being a tour guide is the best way to travel the world and still earn a living.
How long does a tour guide course take?
The full time courses are 2 weeks (10 days) long made up of theoretical and practical training. Thereafter there is a period of 6 weeks in which to complete the set Unit Standards Assessments and a written examination at the end.
What should a tour guide say?
Here you find some examples of welcoming.
- Welcome. I’m Helina, your guide for this tour. I’ll tell you all about the things you will see.
- Hello everyone. My name is Tiiu.
- Dear guests, Let me introduce myself.
- Hi, everybody. I’m your tour guide Natalja.
- Hi, everybody.
How do I start a tour guide company?
Choose a business niche
- Find your passion. The first step to starting your own tour company is to know what you’re passionate about.
- Evaluate your city.
- Identify your target market.
- Research your competitors.
- Name your tour business.
- Register your business.
- Get your business license and permits.
- Register as a tour guide.
What are the disadvantages of being a tour guide?
Disadvantages of Being a Tour Guide
- Tour guides often have to work on weekends.
- Your schedule can change without prior notice.
- You don’t make much money as a tour guide.
- Many tour guides need a second job to survive.
- Short-term contracts are pretty common.
- Seasonality plays a big role in the life of tour guides.
Why do I want to be a tour guide?
As a tour guide, your job means inspiring and sharing happy holiday memories. Having transferrable skills, such as good communication and a charismatic character, means you can slot into different sectors of tourism, with jobs as varied as sports instructing and working with animals.