- 1 How much does an adventure guide make?
- 2 How do you become an adventure guide?
- 3 What degree do you need to be an adventure guide?
- 4 How do you become an outdoor adventure guide?
- 5 Do tour guides make good money?
- 6 How much does an AMGA guide make?
- 7 How do you become a guide?
- 8 What do you need to be a guide?
- 9 How can I be a good outdoor guide?
- 10 What careers involve being outdoors?
- 11 How do you become a backcountry guide?
- 12 What does an adventure guide do?
- 13 How much does a hiking guide make?
- 14 What does an outdoor activity guide do?
How much does an adventure guide make?
The average adventure guide salary in the USA is $21,450 per year or $11 per hour. Entry level positions start at $19,988 per year while most experienced workers make up to $27,300 per year.
How do you become an adventure guide?
Breaking into the outdoor industry doesn’t require much beyond a passion for the outdoors and willingness to work hard in a dynamic environment. If you are interested in becoming a guide you might consider:
- First Aid/Life Guard Training.
- Taking a National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) course.
What degree do you need to be an adventure guide?
Most guiding companies will require you to have some degree of Wilderness Medicine (and if they don’t require one, it may not be a good company). The most basic certification the Wilderness First Aid, which takes 20 hours to complete.
How do you become an outdoor adventure guide?
If you want to get specifically into outdoor education, you can look to take an outdoor educator course through NOLS or Outward Bound. Course through these world leaders in outdoor education will help you develop the skills you need to work in the industry while meeting other like-minded outdoor-oriented people.
Do tour guides make good money?
Generally speaking, tour guides can earn between $50 and $150 per day taking a lot of factors into consideration such as experience, locations, training, type of tour, and others. Some of the more experienced tour guides earn anywhere between $30,000 and $60,000 per year.
How much does an AMGA guide make?
Most first-year guides make between $120 and $150 a day for overnight trips, and less for day work. However, tipping is standard in the guiding world. I find that 20-50% of my income as an alpine guide comes from tips. As you build relationships with clients, the tips (and other gratuities) improve dramatically.
How do you become a guide?
10 Tips for Being a Good Tour Guide
- Face the crowd, not what you’re talking about.
- Be personal.
- Tell a story (historical or contemporary).
- Get moving right away.
- Don’t worry about being perfect.
- Get help to get organized.
What do you need to be a guide?
Prospective tour guides should possess a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent certificate. Required academic backgrounds vary by company, but often a bachelor’s degree in a field related to the subject of the tour is necessary.
How can I be a good outdoor guide?
1. What are the qualities of an outdoor adventure guide?
- Working with different personalities.
- Handling stressful situations.
- Strong communication skills.
- Working in a team.
- Public speaking.
- Fun and engaging personality.
- Personable and considerate.
What careers involve being outdoors?
10 Outdoor Careers Guaranteed to be Your Dream Job
- Lifeguard. 8 of 11.
- Park/Forest Ranger. 7 of 11.
- Farmer. 6 of 11.
- Marine Biologist. 5 of 11.
- Geologist or Geoscientist. 4 of 11.
- Wildland Firefighter. 3 of 11.
- Landscape Architect/Urban Planner. 2 of 11.
- Environmentalist. 1 of 11.
How do you become a backcountry guide?
How to Begin
- Climb and/or ski as much as possible! The ticket to becoming a mountain guide is to become accomplished in these sports, take courses from a reputable guide service or climbing school, or hire a certified guide for private instruction.
- Pursue training and certification.
- Seek out a mentor.
What does an adventure guide do?
Typically, an adventure guide is a specialized type of tour guide position that is often employed as a guide for more organized excursions and outings as a part of a tour package. Adventure guides can be employed in industries and for companies that offer one-off trips and events.
How much does a hiking guide make?
In general you can expect to make $120-$250 per day. You may be paid hourly, which is how hiking guides are legally supposed to be paid, so averaging your daily pay will most likely be between $120 and $250 per day. Most hiking guides also make gratuities.
What does an outdoor activity guide do?
Outdoor Adventure Guides direct, instruct and guide individuals and groups in outdoor adventure activities such as bungy jumping, fishing and hunting, mountaineering, trekking and whitewater rafting. You usually need relevant experience to work as an Outdoor Adventure Guide.