- 1 What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
- 2 How do I become a local tour guide?
- 3 How long does a tour guide course take?
- 4 Is it hard to be a tour guide?
- 5 Can I be a tour guide?
- 6 Is tour guide a good career?
- 7 How do you book a tour guide?
- 8 What job can you get in tourism?
- 9 What are the disadvantages of being a tour guide?
- 10 How do I get a job as a travel guide?
What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
In order to be registered as a tourist guide in South Africa, a person must meet the following minimum requirements:
- must be at least 21 years of age;
- must be a South African citizen or be in possession of a valid work permit;
- must have undergone training with a CATHSSETA-accredited training provider;
How do I become a local tour guide?
Become a local tour guide in 5 steps
- Determine your qualifications.
- Factor in place and competition.
- Set up partnerships.
- Promote your work.
- Get feedback.
How long does a tour guide course take?
The full time courses are 2 weeks (10 days) long made up of theoretical and practical training. Thereafter there is a period of 6 weeks in which to complete the set Unit Standards Assessments and a written examination at the end.
Is it hard to be a tour guide?
Tour guides have a difficult job. If you like to tour the cities you visit, to see historical landmarks in addition to local hotspots and more, it may be a good idea for you to go on a guided tour. It can be difficult to figure out how to schedule in everything you want to see when you’re new to an area.
Can I be a tour guide?
There are no formal education requirements for tour guides, though most have at least a high school diploma. Training and certification programs are available from a variety of travel guide associations, such as the World Federation of Tourist Guide Associations.
Is tour guide a good career?
A tour guide gets the opportunity to see the world. It is a job with no time limit. You have to work for a long 12 hours in a day and may be that on the next day you will be free. It is a good career industry but very competitive.
How do you book a tour guide?
Websites to Find Local Tour Guides – Worldwide
- Viator. Viator is the industry leader in tours, activities, attraction tickets and local tour guides with more than 1,300 destinations worldwide.
- Tours by Locals.
- Rent a Guide.
- With locals.
- Tour HQ.
- Show Around.
What job can you get in tourism?
What Jobs Can You Get With a Tourism Management Degree?
- Front desk clerk/receptionist.
- Events manager.
- Hotel or resort manager.
- Tour operator.
- Tourism marketing manager.
- Travel agency manager.
- Tourist Information Centre manager.
What are the disadvantages of being a tour guide?
Disadvantages of Being a Tour Guide
- Tour guides often have to work on weekends.
- Your schedule can change without prior notice.
- You don’t make much money as a tour guide.
- Many tour guides need a second job to survive.
- Short-term contracts are pretty common.
- Seasonality plays a big role in the life of tour guides.
How do I get a job as a travel guide?
How to Become a Travel Guide
- Step 1: Get Educated. Though an education is not mandatory to become a travel guide, O*NET OnLine reports that most travel guides had some college credit but had yet to earn a degree.
- Step 2: Gain Experience.
- Step 3: On-the-Job Training.
- Step 4: Lead your First Group.
- Article Citations.