- 1 What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
- 2 Is it hard to become a tour guide?
- 3 Is tour guide a good career?
- 4 How do you start a tour guide tour?
- 5 How long does a tour guide course take?
- 6 What should a tour guide say?
- 7 What are the disadvantages of being a tour guide?
- 8 What do tour guides wear?
- 9 Can you make money as a tour guide?
What qualifications do you need to be a tour guide?
In order to be registered as a tourist guide in South Africa, a person must meet the following minimum requirements:
- must be at least 21 years of age;
- must be a South African citizen or be in possession of a valid work permit;
- must have undergone training with a CATHSSETA-accredited training provider;
Is it hard to become a tour guide?
It’s a competitive field, and you’ll have to work hard to keep your coveted role. You need to be dedicated, but you also need to know how to have fun. You’ll live out of a suitcase, answer hundreds of questions every day, and work with many different personalities and cultures from all over the world.
Is tour guide a good career?
A tour guide gets the opportunity to see the world. It is a job with no time limit. You have to work for a long 12 hours in a day and may be that on the next day you will be free. It is a good career industry but very competitive.
How do you start a tour guide tour?
Choose a business niche
- Find your passion. The first step to starting your own tour company is to know what you’re passionate about.
- Evaluate your city.
- Identify your target market.
- Research your competitors.
- Name your tour business.
- Register your business.
- Get your business license and permits.
- Register as a tour guide.
How long does a tour guide course take?
The full time courses are 2 weeks (10 days) long made up of theoretical and practical training. Thereafter there is a period of 6 weeks in which to complete the set Unit Standards Assessments and a written examination at the end.
What should a tour guide say?
Here you find some examples of welcoming.
- Welcome. I’m Helina, your guide for this tour. I’ll tell you all about the things you will see.
- Hello everyone. My name is Tiiu.
- Dear guests, Let me introduce myself.
- Hi, everybody. I’m your tour guide Natalja.
- Hi, everybody.
What are the disadvantages of being a tour guide?
Disadvantages of Being a Tour Guide
- Tour guides often have to work on weekends.
- Your schedule can change without prior notice.
- You don’t make much money as a tour guide.
- Many tour guides need a second job to survive.
- Short-term contracts are pretty common.
- Seasonality plays a big role in the life of tour guides.
What do tour guides wear?
As most tour guides meet clients on vacation and trips, casual dressing is recommended. It is awkward if you wear formal suits while the travelers are on T-shirts. On the other hand, because the guide is at work, it is not professional to wear too loosely like slippers.
Can you make money as a tour guide?
According to Job Monkey, guides in high-tourist areas could earn around $50-$150 per day. Most entry-level tour guides only earn about $8-$15 per hour. But, there are experienced tour guides that earn upwards of $60,000 per year. These people often work for tour companies as managers.